Share this SOON site with your friends

Why not visit …

The problem page

  • Laughter sometimes helps, but if we have real problems we need real help.

The illusion page

  • for fun with a difference

True stories

  • about what really happened

Parsongue's story

Saved from the fire

My name is Parsongue Dalok and I am from Togo in West Africa. I am married and we have a baby. I want to tell you something that happened to me and my family in December 2013. One Thursday evening, I came home from work to find that the electricity in our house was not on. I had brought some work with me to finish at home, but it was too dark to do anything. As I was tired, I lay down on the sofa in the living room. “I will do my work as soon as the lights come on again,” I thought. My wife asked many times if she should go out and buy candles. At last I told her, “Yes, you go.”

She bought two candles, one she put in the bedroom where our baby was sleeping and the other in the living room. That candle did not give enough light for me to do my work, so I prayed (talked to God) as I always do at the end of the day. Then I lay down on the sofa again and went to sleep.

I heard a voice

In the middle of the night, I heard a voice speaking to me in a dream, “Wake up, you are dying! Wake up, you are dying!"

I heard the voice again and again. I woke suddenly to find that the room was on fire. The candle must have fallen over and set things alight. There were flames everywhere! I realised it was Jesus who had spoken to me in my dream. I cried out, “Jesus, save us!"

I knew we were in very great danger. In our living room were two motorbikes. One of them was mine and the other belonged to my neighbour. If these caught fire, the petrol (gasoline) in the bikes would explode. No-one would be able to rescue us. I tried to put out the fire with sand and water, but by this time, there were too many flames. I ran into the bedroom to rescue my wife and baby. They were near to death because of the smoke from the fire. Quickly I picked them both up and carried them to safety.

Twice saved

As I carried my wife and baby outside, I saw many people had come to help us. They were able to rescue just a few of our things and to put out the flames. We lost nearly everything but our lives were saved. We saw a miracle that night! I woke up just in time. The motorcycles did not explode, my wife and baby were safe. Those who came to help said, "Mawulolo; mawule agbe,” which in our local language means, “Your God is great; your God is alive."

Yes, I knew it was God who saved us that day. Now I am twice saved. Jesus saved me from my wrong-doing when he died on the cross for me and now he has saved me and my family from the fire. I want to keep following him for ever.