There are a number of very good booklets published by the British Tourist Authority:
- BRITAIN' is a 30 page colour booklet, free from the British Tourist Authority. It is a very good guide on where to go, how to travel, and visa and customs rules.
- 'UK - THE GUIDE'is specially for young people and students.
- 'TOURIST TICKETS AND DISCOUNT CARDS' gives very important information on travel and special discount tickets for visitors. It also gives advice and warnings about buying theatre tickets.
- 'LONDON GUIDE' and 'LONDON PLANNER' advise visitors to London, and are available in many languages.
These booklets are available from the British Tourist Authority office in your own country – see the list below. If there is not an office in your country, contact the one nearest to you. We have only given the phone numbers, but the list with full addresses is available on the official BTA website
If there is no office near you, a travel agent in your country may have these booklets. If you cannot obtain them this way, then write to the British Travel Centre, and also say what language booklets you would like.
- British Travel Centre
- 12 Regent Street
- Piccadilly Circus
- London SW1Y 4PQ
The Travel Centre is also open to London visitors seven days a week and offers a big range of maps, travel guides and other information. They can book rail tickets, tours, theatre tickets and accommodation, and also change money.
They can also advise overseas visitors already in the country by phone on 0181 846 9000 - this is a switchboard number – ask to be put through to the Travel Centre. Do not ring in from overseas for advice – you should contact your nearest BTA office, or else write to the London office.
LIST OF BTA BOOKLETS AND LANGUAGES AVAILABLE
- MAIN GUIDE: French Canadian, Dutch, French, Belgium French, Flemish,Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Latin American Spanish, Latin American,Portuguese, French African, Hungarian, Czech, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Chinese, Arabic, Turkish and Danish.
- LONDON GUIDE: French, German, Ducth, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish,Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic, Korean, Czech, Hungarian, Russian and Polish.
- LONDON MAP: French, German, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Japanese and Arabic.
- BRITAIN MAP: French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Portuguese and Arabic.
- BRITISH ARTS FESTIVALS: French and Italian.
- UK - THE GUIDE: French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- GREAT BRITISH GALLERIES: Italian, German, French and Spanish.
- GREAT BRITISH HERITAGE FLYER AND PASS: French, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch.
- ARTS CITIES: German.
- WATERFRONT BRITAIN: French and German.
- B & B ACCOMMODATION: French, German and Spanish.
- FARM HOLIDAY LEAFLET: French and German.
The British Tourist Authority has offices in:
- Argentina (Buenos Aires tel:+ 54 11 4314 6735/8955
- Australia (Sydney contact our website
- Belgium (Brussels office is closed to the public.
All information is available via our website
- Brazil (Rio de Janeiro tel: + 55 21-2531 1717)
- China (Beijing tel: + (8610) 6590 6903, Ext 209
- China (Shanghai tel: + (8621) 6323 0313
- Canada (Mississauga, On.)tel: +1 905 405 1720
- Denmark (Copenhagen tel: (+45) 70 21 50 11)
- France (Paris tel: (0033) 01 58 36 50 50)
- Germany (Berlin tel: + 49 30 315 719 0)
- Hong Kong (tel: +(852) 3515 7815)
- India (Tel: 0091 124 5103281-84)
- Ireland (Dublin tel: (+353 1) 670 8000)
- Italy (Milan tel: (+39) 02 880815 1)
- Japan (Tokyo tel: +81 3 5562 2550)
- Netherlands (Amsterdam tel: +31 20 607 77 00)
- New Zealand (Auckland tel: +64 (0)9 309 1899)
- Norway, (Oslo tel: +47 22 01 20 94)
- Portugal (managed from Madrid - + 34 (9) 1 3436313)
- Singapore tel: + (65) 6511 4311)
- South Africa (Sandton tel: +27 (0)11 325 0591)
- South Korea (tel: +82 2 3210 5531)
- Spain (Madrid tel: + 34 (9) 1 3436313)
- Sweden (Stockholm tel: +46 (0) 8 440 1700)
- Switzerland - managed from Berlin -+ 49 30 315 719 0
- UAE (Dubei tel: +971 4 3350088)
- USA (New York tel: + 1 212 986 1188)
- USA (Chicago tel: + 1 312 787 0464)
- USA (Los Angeles tel: +1 310 470 2782)
Thought for the day:
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Gospel of John 3:16